Monday, September 13, 2010

Similarities

"I have made these remarks on taboo and its relations to magic because I am about to give some instances of taboos observed by hunters, fishermen, and others, and I wished to show that they fall under the head of Sympathetic Magic, being only particular applications of that general theory." - The Golden Bough

      I like how the passage above talks about more than one instance certain things are observed. Through my short life I have already noticed patterns in different cultures/religions. It is very interesting to me how people are so quick to tell off another person and their idea's; when in reality they are basically telling the same story. In the Metamorphoses of Ovid, they talk about how in the beginning their were people on earth. After a major event throughout the world there is only one man and one women. Sound familiar? It does to me. Lots of religions believe that man came about from one man and one women.
     As I go through my studies of unrelated topics I still see these same ideas popping up everywhere. Creation stories are, for the most part, very similar. Many start with one man and women as previously stated and then soon after/before this happens a major catastrophe envelopes the world, killing most if not everyone.
     This leads me to believe that some of this is true. Almost all people have played telephone before in their life. In this game we can see how a simple sentence being passed from relatively few people can get horrible misconstrued. I can see how a story of creation, thousands of years old, could have a few different variations. At minimum this is an interesting topic to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment